What is “Ozempic Face”?
“Ozempic face” was termed for sagging and aging facial skin, particularly after rapid weight loss with the use of the type 2 diabetes medication semaglutide (Ozempic). This medication has Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval and is a trusted Source for type 2 diabetes and chronic weight management in people who are living with obesity. As part of a class of medications known as incretin mimetics, it ensures the pancreas releases sufficient insulin when the blood glucose level is high. It also acts as a long lasting and effective glucagon-like peptide-1receptor agonist which makes a person feel fuller and helps them consume fewer calories.
What Affects Does Weight Loss Have on the Face?
Ozempic is so effective, that it has become extremely popular, even trending to the point where there was a shortage. However, not all effects are positive. The desirable rapid weight loss can cause side effects like sagging and aging of skin and is often more pronounced on the face.
People taking Ozempic may report the following facial symptoms:
- loss of fat, which can lead the skin to be loose and saggy
- increased signs of aging, including more lines and wrinkles
- a hollowed-out appearance
- lipodystrophy (how the body accumulates and stores fat)
Significant weight loss, such as 35 plus pounds in six months or less, depletes the skin and body of essential nutrients and can disrupt the balance of the endocrine and GI systems. This loss of nutrients and balance can decrease skin elasticity and luster, resulting in an aged and gaunt look to the face.
How is “Ozempic Face” Treated?
There are a variety of treatments to improve skin after weight loss. Here are a few of the most popular:
- Dermal Fillers – fillers like Juvéderm and Restylane are some of the most effective and instant fixes for facial volume loss after weight loss. Though these are not permanent fixes, they do offer natural looking results.
- Lasers – Lasers are a popular form of treatment and have numerous FDA approvals for treating facial wrinkles and fine lines.
- Energy Based Devices – A newer energy technology is radiofrequency microneedling. Small needles pierce the skin and send energy below the surface to stimulate collagen and tighten the skin. Microneedles are able to penetrate and reach the deeper levels that lasers can’t. Profound RF is a radiofrequency device that is FDA approved to tighten facial skin, as well as improve lines and wrinkles. Treatments like this use radiofrequency energy to stimulate the formation of collagen below the skin’s surface.
- Fat Transfer – Another popular option to plump up the face involves removing fat from another area on the body, like the hips or abdomen, cleaning for any remnant bloody debris, and re-injecting it into parts of the face, like the cheeks, under the eyes, around the lips, and in or around the chin, mouth, or temple areas.
- Ellacor is a micro-coring device that removes thousands of skin micro-cores from the face and neck in one session without any incisions or scars. To learn more about this new revolutionary technology, please read our Ellacor page.
- Face or Neck Lift – Sometimes fillers or other procedures are not enough for older patients. Those in their late fifties and sixties may also opt for face and/or neck lifts. This procedures tightens the underlying muscles, the underlying fat is repositioned and sometimes augmented, and finally the skin is tightened.
The Aesthetic Centers Solutions
If you have taken Ozempic or simply lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and now suffer from saggy or gaunt facial features, our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons at The Aesthetic Centers can help. During a consultation, our surgeons will assess your face and help to determine the right treatment options specific for your needs. Depending on the extent of weight loss, they would suggest any of the mentioned treatment options, including fillers, lasers, or even procedures like a face or neck lift. The end results will be natural and pleasing.
If you are interested in learning more about how we can help you look more youthful and natural, schedule your consultation at The Aesthetic Centers.